Here you will find frequently asked questions and their answers.


How do I apply for a new passport?

You can apply for a new Danish passport on Monday and Thursday between 10.00-15.00 at the embassy, Koninginnegracht 30 in The Hague.

In order to apply for a new passport, you are requested to make an appointment online in the embassy’s booking system here.

You can find a list of the services (incl. fees) provided by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs by clicking the following link.

Please find the passport application form here

Please print and fill in the passport application form (English and Danish) ahead of your appointment at the embassy.

What do I need to bring to my appointment

Please print and fill in the passport application form (English and Danish) ahead of your appointment at the embassy. 

Please remember to bring your current/old passport.

For first-time applicants: Please bring your birth certificate. If you are below the age of 18, both your parents must be present when you apply for a new passport. They must both sign the consent declaration (page 2 in the passport application form) and bring their own passports.

If you are born in another country than Denmark and above the age of 22, you must also bring your proof of nationality, the ‘Indfødesretsbevis’ / ‘Statsborgerretsbevis’ or your ‘Bevisbekræftelse’ issued by the Danish Ministry of Immigration and Integration.

Your biometrics (photograph and fingerprints) will be recorded on the biometric station of the embassy. Therefore, it is not possible to bring a passport photo.

How do I make an appointment with the embassy?

You can make an appointment with the embassy by using the following link:  Reis en Verblijf. Via the link, you gain access to the electronic agenda of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, where you must indicate the embassy you wish to visit. Follow the instructions.

The vacant time slots are marked in the green colour. If there are not vacant time slots on Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays (opening hours of the embassy), all vacant time slots have unfortunately been booked by other applicants/citizens. It is our experience, however, that last minute cancellations often take place, whereby the time slot will appear in the green colour, hence vacant for others to book. 

When having booked a time slot with the embassy, you will receive an e-mail confirming your appointment. If for some reason you are not able to show up for your appointment, we kindly ask you to cancel your appointment. In this way your appointment will appear vacant for others requiring an appointment.

How do I cancel my appointment? 

You can cancel your appointment by opening the e-mail, which you received as a confirmation of your booking. In this e-mail you will find a link to your appointment with the possibility of cancelling or rebooking your appointment.

What should I be aware of, before requesting an appointment for the renewal of my passport?

In case you have changed your name and would like to have your new name displayed/mentioned in your passport, this information must be updated in the CPR-register before you make an appointment for a passport renewal with the embassy. As a citizen, you are solely responsible for getting your data updated in the CPR-register.

The embassy cannot instigate an update of your data in the CPR-register on your behalf.

What is the processing time for the request of a passport?

The duration of a passport appointment with the embassy is typically 20-30 minutes. From the date of the processing of your request at the embassy, your new passport will arrive at the embassy after approx. 2-3 weeks.
You can collect your new passport on Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays at 10-12 and 13-15. Please bring your old passport for cancellation. In case you require the embassy to forward the passport to your home address, this involves your payment of the postal fee.

Where can I find the electronic agenda on the embassy website

The link to the electronic agenda can be found on the embassy website, via the link Reis en Verblijf.

I have lost my passport - what do I do?

In case you have lost your passport (lost or stolen), you must report this to the police. In this case, at the nearest Dutch police station. You need to bring the police report to the embassy, when applying for a temporary passport. The embassy needs the report from the police as documentation when contacting the Danish national police.

You must contact the embassy in order to make an appointment in order to apply for a provisional passport or a new ordinary passport.

The embassy can be reached Monday – Friday on tel. no. 070-302 5959 (choose the consular department).

In case of urgency outside the normal working hours of the embassy, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Globale Vagtcenter 24/7) can be reached on tel. no. (+45) 33 92 11 12 / [email protected].

Be aware that an extra fee has to be paid, when you apply for a temporary passport outside the normal opening hours.

information for citizens

I need a new birth/personal registration certificate - what do I do?

You can request for a new birth certificate at parish or the church office of the church were you were baptised. The church office will then send the certificate to the Embassy. You can then fetch the certificate at the Embassy.

You can request for a personal registration certificate at the municipality, where you lived while staying in Denmark. The civil affairs department of the municipality will send the certificate to the Embassy. You can then fetch the certificate at the Embassy.

You have to contact the Embassy, to hear if your certificate has arrived. The Embassy will not contact you.

When you fetch your certificate at the Embassy, you will need to pay an administrative fee of 38 EUR. This can only be done by bankcard or credit card.  

How do you request an update of your data with the CPR-register?

Your data must be updated by the municipality in Denmark, were you lived before leaving Denmark. Even though you have not been a citizen in Denmark for many years, the municipality where you lived, before leaving Denmark is still obliged to update your data in the CPR-register. It is advisable to contact Borgerservice (citizen service) with the municipality in order to inform about your wish for an update of your data by phone and to confirm the contents of your update by e-mail in order to ensure a correct update of your data.

I want to create a MitID – what do I do?

As a Dane living outside of Denmark, you can create a MitID, just like all people living in Denmark. On the following website, you can find more information regarding MitID and the procedure with regard to obtaining a MitID: https://lifeindenmark.borger.dk/apps-and-digital-services/mitid

Since June 2022, it has been possible to create a MitID directly in the MitID app, if you had a valid Danish, Greenlandic or Faroese passport. The function has been updated so you can also use foreign passports or ID cards with a chip to create MitID directly in the app.

Consequently, it should be easier to create a MitID if you are living abroad and are in need of a MitID, but do not hold a valid Danish passport.

Read more about passport/ID card requirements: https://www.mitid.dk/hjaelp/hjaelpeunivers/mitid-app/krav-til-identifikation-i-app/

NemID for all public self-service solutions finally closed on 30 June 2023.

My personal information needs to be updated in the CPR-registration system – what do I do?

To get your personal information updated in the CPR-registration system, you need to contact the last Danish municipality where you lived. Even if it has been many years since you lived there. The civil affairs department of the municipality is obliged to carry out the changes in the CPR registration system that you ask for. It's advised to first contact the civil affairs department of the municipality by telephone, to discuss the required changes. Afterwards you can confirm the required changes by e-mail.

Which information can I update in the CPR-system?
If you change your name, for example in relation to your marriage, it is important to change these details in the CPR-system. If the CPR-system does not contain the latest correct information with about your personal situation, these details cannot be registered in a new passport.

How can I get my documents legalised?

Danish documents issued by a Danish authority can be legalised or endorsed by means of an Apostille stamp, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark.

The ministry has launched a webshop on its website, where you can request for legalisation or an Apostille stamp. This way you do not have to show up in person. The document has to be uploaded in the web shop. In the web shop you can also pay for the service.  

There is an instruction video about how to upload a document to the web shop. We advise that you watch this before starting the process.


I want to apply for retention of my Danish nationality - what do I do?

If you were born outside of Denmark, you may lose your Danish nationality on attaining the age of 22, even if both of your parents have the Danish nationality.

If you wish to retain your Danish nationality, you can apply for retention through the Nationality Office at the Ministry of Immigration and Integration. Applications for retention of Danish nationality should be submitted between the age of 21 and 22.

Applications submitted before the age of 21, will not be processed.

If you did not apply before the age of 22. You can still regain you Danish nationality. This process will take longer.

Before you apply to regain your Danish nationality, you should inform about the consequences the application can have for your current nationality. Contact your Dutch municipality of residence for more information. The Dutch rules with regard to (dual) citizenship play an important role when applying for Danish nationality. For information about the general Dutch rules, please visit the website of the Dutch immigration service: www.ind.nl

For further information about the Danish citizenship, and how you can regain your Danish nationality please visit The Ministry of Immigration and Integration’s website: https://uim.dk/arbejdsomrader/statsborgerskab/in-english
On the website, you will find the necessary information about how to apply for a Danish citizenship, general laws and links to the correct applications for both children and adults.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Citizenship Section on (+45) 70 80 24 50.

My child is born in the Netherlands – does it have a Danish nationality?

If you have the Danish nationality, your child will automatically obtain the Danish nationality. No matter in which country your child is born.

If your child has been born outside of Denmark, he/she has to apply for retention of the Danish nationality before the age of 22. It is a general rule, that Danish nationals born abroad lose their Danish nationality when reaching the age of 22. Unless you actively apply for retention.

If you want more information regarding the retention process, please read the FAQ – How to apply for retention of my Danish nationality.  


How do I apply for a visa for Denmark (Faroe Islands/Greenland)?

As a non-EU citizen you can apply for a visa for Denmark. Please visit the following website for more information on how to apply, regulations applicable for visa applications for Denmark and the documentation required.

In order to apply, please use the following link. Here you can fill in the application form and carry out a payment online for the submission of your application.

Greenland and the Faroe islands

If you wish to apply for a visa for, Greenland and the Faroe Islands, please contact the embassy before you carry out an online payment for the submission of your application. Visa applications for Greenland and the Faroe Islands are being processed by the embassy. Visit the website in order to fill in the application form and carry out the payment for the submission hereof.

In order to ensure that your application can be processed in time, you must make an appointment with the embassy before you carry out an online payment for the submission of your application.

Transferring the handling of a visa application to another embassy is a very complex and time-consuming matter. Therefore, the embassy who receives your payment for visa processing will also be the embassy who handles your case. It will be in the same embassy that you need to pick up the visa sticker/case decision.

Making an appointment for visa applicants for the Faroe islands and/or Greenland

If you require an appointment with the embassy for the handing in of your visa application for the Faroe islands and/or Greenland please contact the consular department at [email protected] or tel. no. 070 – 302 5959 during opening hours on Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays 10.00 – 12.00 hrs.

information regarding denmark

How do I apply for a residence permit for Denmark?

You can apply for a residence permit for Denmark by visiting the website of SIRI (New To Denmark). Here you will find information on the application procedure and the criteria you must fulfil to have your application processed.

Please be aware that the embassy, recording your biometrics, also will be the embassy receiving the decision from SIRI and thus the authority, which will issue your visa sticker.

During holiday seasons, the embassy often has a tight schedule. Therefore it is important and advisable to plan your appointment at the embassy in time, otherwise you risk that the embassy cannot meet your request for an appointment.

To pay for the biometrics, please use this link. Remember to pay before the appointment at the embassy. Also remember to bring the receipt to your appointment. After having submitted your application for a residence permit with SIRI, please book an appointment for a biometrics recording in the electronic agenda of the embassy, which can be found on the website of the embassy. 

Please find more information regarding the processing time with the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and  Integration here.

I am moving to Denmark. What do I do?

I you are planning to move to Denmark, you are advised to prepare as well as possible. You can contact the civil affairs department of the municipality to where you are moving. They can inform you about the information and documents that are needed, in order to be registered at the municipality. Many municipalities have specific information, for example about employment, targeted at people moving to the area, and also people coming from outside of Denmark.

If you are only staying temporarily in Denmark, for example for an internship, you are not obliged to register at the municipality. When you are staying in Denmark for 4 months or longer, you are obliged to register. 

You can also visit the website of the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment “work in Denmark.” Here you can also find information with regard to the many aspects of moving to Denmark. 


Other useful websites with regard to moving to Denmark


I am moving to the Netherlands. What do I do?

I you are planning to move to the Netherlands, you are advised to prepare as well as possible. You can contact the civil affairs department of the municipality to where you are moving. They can inform you about the information and documents that are needed, in order to be registered at the municipality. After the registration, you will receive a so-called BSN-number (Burger Service Nummer). It is the equivalent of the Danish CPR number or a social security number.  Without this number it is difficult to get insurances, get a bank account or buy a house.

On the website of the government you can find practical tips with regard to moving to the Netherlands.


Other useful websites with regard to moving to the Netherlands



My partner and I want to get married in Denmark. What do we do?

To be able to get married in Denmark you need to contact the municipality in Denmark where you wish to get married. The civil affairs department of the municipality can inform you of the rules and requirements with regard to a marriage. 

I am looking for (tourist) information on Denmark

The Embassy has no tourist information on Denmark. No brochures. No maps. No additional tourist information on the regions and municipalities in Denmark.

Online you can find several websites, with practical information about Denmark, attractions and museums.










The Faroe Islands

Practical information for disabled persons

Information on Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands 
https://www.eu.dk/ (Denmark in the EU)
https://www.ft.dk/ (Parliament)

I am going on holiday to Denmark - can I bring my pet?

You are advised to check if your pet fulfils the requirements. You can find information with regard to travelling with pets to/through Denmark on the website of the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration:


If you are travelling to Denmark by car, we would like to draw your attention to the rules in the countries you will be travelling through. They may differ from the Danish requirements.

On the website of the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, you can also find a list over dogs that are prohibited in Denmark:

Forbudte hunderacer - Fødevarestyrelsen (foedevarestyrelsen.dk)


Can I take my medication with me to Denmark?

You can take your medication with you to Denmark for personal use. It  is recommended that you bring documentation from your doctor or a medical passport, stating that the medication is for personal use and is necessary. You can contact the Danish Medicines Agency if you are in doubt about bringing you medication to Denmark due to the substances in the medication.

For more information and contact details, please visit the website of the Danish Medicines Agency:

I would like to study in Denmark – what do I do?

Do you wish to study in Denmark? Via the websites below you can find ample information with regard to studying in Denmark:

- Practical information on possibilities and requirements related to studying abroad;
- Education programs for other foreign students;
- Practical information with regard to registering at the municipality, work, accommodation and so on. 

Many of the websites have an English version on their front page.

Ministry of Education


Student accommodation
Ungdomsboliger (borger.dk)

Information regarding the Netherlands

I am going to study in the Netherlands – what do I do?

If you are going to stay in the Netherlands for a longer period (more than 3 months), then you should register at the municipality were you are going to live. Upon registration, you will receive a Dutch social security number (BSN nummer). You will need to acquire a health insurance, since it is obligatory in the Netherlands. Only when you are in possession of a BSN-number, you will be able to get a job.

Remember to notify the Dutch municipality, when you are moving out of the Netherlands. 

How do I find accommodation in the Netherlands?
The Danish Embassy cannot help you find suitable accommodation. On the internet, you can find several websites with regard to accommodation in a certain area or city. It is advised, that you start the search for accommodation as early as possible, because the housing market also with regard to student accommodation is overheated.

On Facebook, you can also find several groups for Danes living in the Netherlands. In the groups information with regard to accommodation, jobs, registration and other practical information is shared among the members.

If you have additional questions with regard to your temporary stay in the Netherlands, we can recommend you to contact the Dutch Embassy in Copenhagen or the Dutch municipality where you intend on staying.

You can also read the FAQ – I am moving to Denmark/the Netherlands

The Dutch Embassy in Denmark

Webpages for students

Other practical webpages

I need a Danish-speaking lawyer in the Netherlands – what do I do?

The following law firms offer legal aid to both companies and individuals in Danish:


Ekholm Advocatuur

Kanaalpark 140

2321 JV Leiden

T: 071 - 26 00 911

M: 06 - 319 50 911

E: [email protected]


Avizor advocaten & arbiters

De Lairessestraat 131-135 III

1075 HJ Amsterdam

T: +31 (0)20 717 3414

M: +31 (0)6 132 21 736

E: [email protected]

I: http://avizor.eu/dk/

I need help to find a Danish person in the Netherlands – what do I do?

There is no list with Danish citizens in the Netherlands. With the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) everybody residing in the EU has a right to the protection of his/her personal information.

The Embassy cannot and is not allowed to help with information that may lead to information about where a Danish citizen may be living. Unless there are legal grounds, allowing the Embassy to be involved tracking down of a Danish national, for example upon a police request.